There are things I like talking about besides games. Though I haven't been able to come up with anything specific, anything that is on top of my head I will just write about. That may include some photography and other hobbies that I stick around to. So to keep it more organized there are links above this section with categories of my interests, so feel free to check them out. If you have any comments or feedbacks, just email me at CalvinCLCheung@gmail.com. Enjoy your stay!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Tips - Photography at a glance for beginners II

"Lonely tree". Photo by Jule_Berlin

You should now be very familiar with your camera. As I have mentioned in the first part of this post, you should worry about getting close with your device before anything else. Sure you can take pictures now with varied settings, and now you may have even found yourself a customized configuration, making your day out with your camera more efficient and progressive. What now?

THE ART OF COMPOSITION
In my opinion, it's a subjective matter, although there are basic fundamentals you should follow. Some solutions I'm about to share with you are based on my own experiences and ideas, I'm willing to learn and if you have any comments regarding my concepts, please do share them by any means of contact! 

USING GRID-LINES - RULE OF THIRDS
The "rule of thirds" is the one factor you should get yourself familiar with when making compositions. Here is what it looks like.

"Rule of Thirds". Picture by digital-photography-school
It has been known and studied that if you place your point of interest on the intersections or along the lines, it'd make it more natural and soothing for the human eye to make contact with. Try it yourself, experiment around the grid and see what you can find out. Here are two examples, try to imagine the grid-lines existence.

"The Blues". Photo by aussiegall
"Valeria". Photo by Andrea Rinaldi

Try to focus on the point of interests, and make out how the photographer has implemented that particular area to stand out. From my experience, if I take pictures of single objects, I never place it right at the middle of the grid - I like to give some space and remove that claustrophobic feeling.

Now that you have learnt about the "Rule of Thirds", it doesn't mean you need to stick by it all the time when you are composing your pictures. Try breaking the rule from time to time and you might come up with a dazzling photograph! Imagination is key, there are also many things you can look out for while taking pictures, there are no definite answers for a good picture - ones creativity, diversity and willingness to trial and error will eventually make succession. 

WHAT ELSE TO LOOK OUT FOR
There are many interesting shapes, patterns and textures to look out for when taking photographs, not necessarily on its own but even when you're using it as a background. Although not everything might be suitable,  and can be distracting, its always worth looking out for when you have your camera with you.

Lines, symmetry and textures are often around us wherever we go, take advantage of it. Many of these type of images enables me to stare for a period of time, as it is not something I'm use to in my daily life - since we often ignore these sort of information when we are outside, occupied by other things. Next time, when you're out with your device, don't rush and learn of your surroundings. Make it a habit to capture multiple images for that particular area, and manipulate the angle of shot. Here is an example, effectively using the architectural design.

"Green Bottle". Photo by Bert Kaufmann

DIFFERENT EYE LEVELS
It basically means manipulating your angle of shot, to a point where us humans aren't capable of or not often in doing so. I'm sure you have heard of "birds-eye view" numerous times in your life, and I understand achieving that particular angle at times can be impossible for most of us. If you have a pet at home, you can always take photos in regards to their point on view (making a photo story out of it). I'm actually planning a photography project - and it's about my turtles point of view, showcasing what my turtles will be able to see if I put were to them on road level of Hong Kong. It will be up and ready at the end of this month.

Remember, you don't have to stick by the rules 100% of the time, be imaginative and creative and you will come up with a great photo. Trial and error is the key, take as many pictures as you can and slowly learn from your mistakes. Also, let people comment on your photos and take in some ideas they give you! I've come across a great article from Darren Rowse, he talks about why don't people ever improve their photography, check it out!

Keep shooting everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment