There are things I like talking about besides games. Though I haven't been able to come up with anything specific, anything that is on top of my head I will just write about. That may include some photography and other hobbies that I stick around to. So to keep it more organized there are links above this section with categories of my interests, so feel free to check them out. If you have any comments or feedbacks, just email me at CalvinCLCheung@gmail.com. Enjoy your stay!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

A big transition

"Nikon FM2, 50mm f/1.2." Photo by lemuelinchrist

I'm sure you have heard about someone being called a "gear head". Well I was one, and was always impulse-buying a product that made me feel good for a couple of hours, and regretting it for the months that came. Yes you probably have guessed, camera lenses!

It started when I purchased my first DSLR - Nikon D3000. I used it for roughly six months until I decided to change models. Don't get me wrong, the D3000 was superb for it's price and size, and for a beginner like me I really couldn't ask for more. I also went out on many occasions experimenting with my new camera, and I even took it with me on a trip to Malaysia last year - and picture qualities were quite stunning. So if you're ever going to take up photography, in my opinion start with the budget DSLRs' and work your way up, you will learn faster that way and get a better understanding with the progression of beginner to professional DSLRs'.

I was really hooked into it, a Zen type of feeling whenever I did something related to photography, but in the blind sense. I would regularly go on YouTube and review websites and search for my next possible product, often choosing by its external qualities - how the lens looked, and had the feeling of collecting all types of lenses, wide angle, zoom, telescope and macros lenses. And so I did, I was on a budget as Nikkor lenses were too expensive so I went for third party brands - Sigma, Tokina and Tamron. Indeed I bought all types of lenses including the Nikkon D300s and a backpack that held everything together, and I felt for a while I was "pro". Pretty crazy yes?

And so, while I was venturing out to different places in Hong Kong, I tried to make use of my lenses just to make myself feel the decision was worth it, and for that while I felt a little idiotic having to make myself suffer like that - I did not go out because I want to take pictures, but to make up for the mistake I made. After a month of two I realized I couldn't go on like that anymore, So I decided to sell all my gear at once.

I sold my items and managed to bargain back around 70% of the money, I guess I was lucky. I then started to process everything clearly, learning from my mistakes and now I know that sort of curiosity of being "gear headed" will never hit me in my thoughts again.

That was all awhile ago, now I own a canon s95 compact camera, some argue that  features available in the camera are up to par with certain DSLRs'. I'm still learning my way through photography, now in a more positive direction. I guess I will have to invest in a DSLR eventually, but first things first, build up some basic knowledge and understanding then I will worry about that in the future.

I hope this will help some of you who are stuck in the same position as I was, simple answer is - It is not worth it! Just to make things clear, my mentality was to impress people with an array of lenses, showing off what I managed to purchase. So do some serious considerations before making the purchase!

Hope you enjoyed this post, see you around!

No comments:

Post a Comment